Sunday, March 8, 2009

She was right. Again.

I enjoy a great bowl of popcorn. Really enjoy it. But, I am not a big fan of the microwave stuff from that old guy with the funny name. I like the loose kernels popped with love. We had had this great popper that was like a hot plate with a plastic bowl on top. It was called stir crazy or stir popper or stir me a drink or something like that. Sadly, it died this weekend. I thought maybe we got a bad batch of kernels so I headed off to the store to get some new ones. It was not the kernels.

Tonight I decided I would just make it on the stove top like we used to do, but Tra brought down the hammer and told me I would make her quite unhappy if I woke the kids with all the noise made by sliding a nice quality, heavy duty pot across the little metal things that sit over the gas flame. Oh, I'm sure they have a name, but I can't think of it right now.

Here is where the different ideas came into play. Tra said something like, "You know you don't need 'microwave popcorn' to make popcorn in the microwave, right?" Well, as I am sure you all know, that is just crazy talk. I mean, how could big companies make millions of dollars off of microwave popcorn if there wasn't some special sort of pixie dust in that bag? After much discussion and doubting, she proceeded to find it on the Internet. Well, there you have it. It is on the Internet so it must be true. Finally, I give in. I take a paper bag, smear one of the inside walls with butter, add the kernels, and add some salt. Four minutes later we had wonderfully smelling, wonderfully tasting popcorn.

When will I learn?

Tim

2 comments:

Phyllis said...

Boy did I learn something new. Tra you are so smart!!! Tim, those metal things over the fire are called grates. Thanks for new blog to make us smile.
Bunches of love.

Tracy said...

uhh huh.

Thanks!

To those of you who have given financially to help complete our family and give Joseph a home, there are not words to describe our gratitude. Simply know that you will forever be a part of our family, and we thank God for you.